Who We are
Our 5 programs for the homeless give back to the community in many ways - by helping individuals and families attain and maintain a productive life; by providing disadvantaged children with the opportunity to grow and learn in a stable, nourishing environment; by providing housing for the elderly, mentally and physically disabled who would otherwise have nowhere to go; and by rehabilitation of neighborhood slums into attractive, affordable homes. These services help to eliminate housing instability, self-medication/drug and alcohol addictions, which will reduce hospitalization, associated criminal activity and incarceration, saving Brevard thousands of tax dollars.
The Coalition for the Homeless of Brevard County was incorporated in September 1989 as a networking agency. In 1995, our When In Need (WIN) Program was created. Since then the agency has acquired through lease, purchase and renovation, over 115 housing units for program participants. Housing currently consists of transitional units, permanent units for disabled persons, and homes for homeless and disabled veterans.
Since 1997, the Coalition has contracted with The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to provide housing and services to the homeless. A HUD Transitional Housing Program has been in place since 1998 and a Permanent Housing Program for the Disabled was established in 2001. In December 2003, the Coalition was designated as a Certified Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO) in accordance with HUD, the State of Florida and Brevard County certification requirements.
Since we are no longer a Coalition or provide food, in 2015 we changed our name to Housing for Homeless. In 2016 we will also be focusing on the chronically homeless with a new Program – Housing First, where we remove many of the barriers to the homeless being housed. Housing First is an approach to quickly and successfully connect individuals and families experiencing homelessness to permanent housing without preconditions and barriers to entry, such as sobriety, treatment or service participation requirements.
- Rob Cramp – Executive Director
- Michelle Lisenby - Program Director - Veteran Services
- William Stanziano - GPD Case Manager
- Steve Kelly -GPD Case Manager
- Cynthia Taylor -GPD Case Manager
- LaRisha Washington - HUD Program Director
- Becky Mathisen - HUD Case Manager
- Cherie Williams - Property Manager
- Joy Rothschild – Intake Specialist
- Mara Lucas - Accountant
- Jennifer Najemick- Financial/Human Resource Specialist
- Linda Acosta- Receptionist
Our Board of Directors
- President - John Venice
- Vice President - Margaret Hasenbeck
- Secretary- Eleanor Garriga
- Treasurer - Dr. Tim Hollingsworth
- Director - Brian J.Bussen
- Director - Laura Jae Houston
- Director - Sandy Noble
- Director - Dr. Phil Simpson
- Director - Adrienne Roth
- Director - Jon Shepherd
- Director - Dale Viger